Monday, March 12, 2012

A Trip to Five Stride Skate Shop

               Everyone asked me a million times "Do you really need to go to Brooklyn to get skates?" I can now answer that question with a firm yes.
               After a late start and one hell of a car ride I was finally at Five Stride Skate Shop in Brooklyn, I had been waiting for this trip for what I would call TOO long, but whatever, I got there. I was pretty nervous though, but when I walked in it was like I died and went to derby girl heaven... pretty unreal. Skates, plates, pads, helmets, wheels, and bearings that went on forever. I walked up to the counter and asked for a skate fitting, the girl said no problem and told me to go sit down in "her office," which is a couch type thing and a hunk a ply wood they call a table... DIY and derby go hand in hand, I dug it. She sized me at a 6, my current skate that I knew were too big are an 8, and she started pulling out boots. She pulled out 595's 495's and 395's and Antiks, after putting on the 595's she decided that my heals were the smallest she has ever seen. So that met the 4 and 595's were out, and she said possibly the Antik's too, which killed me because the Antik's are my dream boot. I put on the 395 and the Antik at the same time, the only thing I can recall about the 395 was feeling like there was a razor blade being pushed into the back of my ankle, they didn't stay on for long. It was down to the Antik and I wont lie, it was pretty lose on my heal. I really wanted them though, there was no point in paying a ton of money for a boot that doesn't fit right. Then I found the heal lock, laced my boot up correctly and BOOM fit like a glove, holy dream skate.
           The fitting all said and done I upgraded my plates, picked wheels and bearings, and customized the boot. White leather with blue and red suede. My only goal was to spend less than 900.00 at Five stride and I want 24 dollars over, I'm not sure how but I'm pretty excited on the purchase anyway. I hope the next 6 weeks fly by so I can get my skates on my feet and broken in for the season.




No comments:

Post a Comment